Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sightseeing Singapore

Hi again.  I took advantage of my first day off to to see a little bit of Singapore.  I travelled the light rail downtown and what a nice system it is!  Clean, safe (at least it seems so), well marked and efficient.  Very, very crowded though during certain time periods.  Their National Museum is a must see, and the cost for a 60 (plus) senior only about $4, about the cost of a half of a  beer!  Which brings me to my next topic:  alcohol is expensive here especially if bought at a more Western style establishment.  However, you can purchase a .633 litre of the local beer, Tiger, for about $4.50 at an open air, sidewalk style of restaurant, very typical of Singapore.  Now, my boys' book club members  know from our excursion to Walgreens some time ago that .633 litres equals about 22 ounces. Their are more choices but not like in the old USA.  I have yet to spot an IPA here!                                                                                                                              I have never ridden in so many cabs in my life!  Cars are extremely expensive to own so cabs are everywhere and relatively inexpensive.  They are clean, up to date, widely available (unless it is raining) and tightly controlled, so you don't have to worry about getting ripped off.  Oh yes, unlike in New York city where all the drivers are foreigners and drive third world style, here they are all native of Singapore!  Go figure.  Well, I'm tired of boring myself.  Besides, it's time to go to work.  I'm pretty sure that's the real reason I'm here anyway!  Zaijian!   
      

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ted, I just saw in Sunday's paper that there will be a total eclipse of the moon (sounds like a song title) on Wed. and should be visible from Singapore, I think, since I never did find Singapore on our ancient globe. It isn't visible in the states. Hopefully I am meeting Sharon tonight for Shakepeare in the Park - there were 4000 people there last night so I'm hoping it is a good production. Glad all is going well. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know where you found a Walgreens in the states that sells alcohol! :)

    ReplyDelete